I am a very big believer in the creation of a “bucket list”. A bucket list is a list of things you want to accomplish before you “kick the bucket”. It can be anything from places you want to see, adventures you want to do, and experiences you want do remember forever. Everyone has things they want to do. But sadly, most don’t ever get even close to accomplishing them. Here are some great ways to make a bucket list:
- Write it down. Most everyone has some idea of things they want to accomplish before they kick the bucket. However, how many things do you honestly remember that you keep in your head? Writing them down puts them out there. Write them and place them in a place that you will always see them. I love the tool Evernote. It is a note taking application that syncs to basically whatever device you have. You can save folders and organize them to your liking. I have a “bucket list” folder where I enter all my bucket list items in. I recommend check out it out. If evernote isn’t your thing, get a moleskin journal, or just a piece of paper tacked to the wall. Something that you can get your thoughts down on paper and always reference them.
- Do it for you. Too many people do a lot of different things because it will make them look good in the eyes of others. Do NOT do this for your bucket list. Your bucket list should be the things that YOU want to do, not something that world wants you to do. Don’t add “Climb Mt Everest” if you really don’t want to do that. If you really want to find a shady spot and sit and do nothing, do that. The best bucket list you can create is one that YOU create.
- Nothing is too small. A bucket list isn’t meant to be a “guaranteed to do” list. It is a list of the greatest things you want to do in your life. NOTHING is too small to put on your list. If you really want to put a footprint on the moon, put that down.
- Write anything and everything. The longer your list is, the more things you can cross off. The more things you can cross off, the more things you want to cross off, the more you will try to cross things off. It is a great cycle to get into!
- Check it often. Sometimes, you will do something and not realize you had it on our list. Checking your list often will not only keep your dreams fresh in your head, but will also allow you to see that things that you may have accomplished and not even realized it. Another thing that checking the list will do is allow you to adjust certain things. For example, I had “smoke a cuban cigar” on my list. I successfully did that, so I added “In Cuba” for another item. If you keep adjusting, you will start developing a strong bucket list.
- Make your list public. I have my bucket list on this site. Post your bucket list on facebook. Create a free website on blogger and write your entire list there (great way to accomplish #1 on this list as well!). Making your list public will do a few things. First, it will hold you accountable for the things you write down. Second, it will get other people to follow their dreams and make their own list. Thirdly, it will allow others to see your list and possibly help you get your dreams.
A bucket list is a great way to have you start discovering the things you truly want to do in your life, and start you on the path to start crossing off the items on your list. If you want to see a few samples, I encourage you check out my bucket list (and if you can help me cross anything off, I am all ears!). Also check out http://kickasslifestyle.com/create-a-kickass-lifestyle-list-and-bucket-list-ideas/ which has some other great information on creating the best bucket list possible.
Post where your list is at and maybe we can help each other cross some off!